The Early Years
Carrickfergus YMCA was formed in 1873 meeting in the House of Mr J.K. Mitchell in governor’s Place. In 1877 premises were taken in West Street where a café was established before moving to the town High Street in order to allow the work of YMCA to develop.
The first President of Carrickfergus YMCA was Mr Thomas Greer who was for five years the Member of Parliament for Carrickfergus (1880-1885). He was also a member of the Grand Jury, a Justice of the Peace for the County of Antrim and patron of the Carrickfergus Literary and Scientific Society.